Thursday, January 11, 2024

A scene from Jeyakanthan's Tamil novel 'A Man, A House, A World' ('ஒரு மனிதன்! ஒரு வீடு! ஒரு உலகம்!')


Jeyakanthan's best novel, 'A Man! A House! A World!' ('ஒரு மனிதன்! ஒரு வீடு! ஒரு உலகம்!'), introduces Henry as the protagonist. He is an unforgettable character, a great man. I eagerly read this novel when it was serialized in the Tamil magazine 'Anantha Vikatan.' Because of that, this novel is a time machine for me, transporting me back to my childhood every time I think about it.

 
Writer Jeyakanthan


Among Jeyakanthan's novels, this is the one I like the most. Like Babu and Jamuna in Janakiraman's famous novel 'Mogamul' (the thorn of infatuation), Henry captivates the readers. His experiences when he visits his father's birth village are unforgettable. Even now, I can't forget his conversations with his father. When I read those dialogues, I am reminded of my childhood times with my father. We used to talk about the starry night sky, stars, shooting stars, and moving satellites while lying in his lungi as he sat in his easy chair. The success of a novel often depends on providing similar reader experiences. The drawings by the artist Gobulu enhance the readers' overall experience.

The scene I am sharing here is from the novel illustrated by Gobulu, depicting Henry while chatting with his father. Gobulu's drawing clearly captures their emotions.







Artist 'Gobulu'      







 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Global Citizen's Concerns About the Polarized Current World

One thing I don't understand is why not only extremist Jewish people but also ordinary Jewish people, from billionaires to US congressme...