Thursday, January 4, 2024

Global Security vs. National Security


 "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

The first time I learned about this quote was from my father's notebook. When my father passed away, I was in my teen years. After his death, I found his small notebook. The first page contained Thomas Paine's quote. That was when I first learned about this quote.

This quote reminds me of an ancient Tamil poet from the Sangam age, approximately between the 3rd century BCE and the 4th century CE,  named Kaniyan Poongunranar. His famous poetic lines are '
yaadhum ure yavarum kelir'  ('யாதும் ஊரே1 யாவரும் கேளிர்!
") ,' which means 'Every town is my town, all the people are my kin'. 

Why is the world consistently embroiled in wars? Countries structure their foreign policies based on national security concerns. Simultaneously, countries are divided by factors such as religion, language, culture, color, and economy. Additionally, countries are segregated by wealth and stockpiles of arms, leading to the formation of distinct groups. Western countries are united and exert control over global affairs, aiming to maintain this order. When conflicts arise, if the war involves a friendly country, they often remain silent. Conversely, they tend to act harshly in other scenarios.

Countries ought to reform their mentality and move away from their exclusive focus on national security. Instead, they should prioritize considerations for global security. There should be a unified law or approach concerning global security where all humans are treated equally, and all conflicts and contradictions are handled impartially.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Global Citizen's Concerns About the Polarized Current World

One thing I don't understand is why not only extremist Jewish people but also ordinary Jewish people, from billionaires to US congressme...