Thursday, February 1, 2024

Charlton Heston: The Moses on the Silver Screen!


Charlton Heston's portrayal as Moses in 'The Ten Commandments' is the best role of his movie career. The first time I came to know about him was through my dad, who admired Charlton Heston, Garry Cooper, and Antony Quinn. In my childhood, I watched a few films with my dad, including 'The Ten Commandments' and  'Ben-Hur.'  He always talked about Cecil B. DeMille, who directed 'The Ten Commandments.' I still remember my dad telling me that Quinn was Cecil B. DeMille's son-in-law.

Another film of Charlton Heston's that I still remember is 'The Omega Man.'  I watched it  at Manohara Theatre in Jaffna, Sri Lanka with my friends. The story is about a border war between China and Russia that escalates into full biological warfare, destroying most of the human race. Charlton Heston plays the role of a US Army colonel and scientist, one of the survivors. He injects himself with an experimental vaccine against the plague and manages to survive. Another group of people survives, but they become nocturnal albino mutants. The story takes place in Los Angeles.

During the recent coronavirus pandemic, I thought about 'The Omega Man' and 'The Cassandra Crossing.' Both movies deal with the pandemic.

When I moved to Canada, I came to know about Charlton Heston's contribution to the Rifle Association. It was a big surprise to me. In my mind, he is always an iconic religious figure, Moses. I can't think of him having anything to do with guns.  If my dad were alive today, he would have been surprised as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Global Citizen's Concerns About the Polarized Current World

One thing I don't understand is why not only extremist Jewish people but also ordinary Jewish people, from billionaires to US congressme...