Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Poem: An Old Bookshop Experience!


Buying books from old bookshops is
mind-pleasing and enjoyable.
The joy of purchasing from
an old bookshop
is a distinct and unique experience
compared to buying a book
from a new bookstore.
The availability of book selections is
much more limited in a new bookstore.
For example,
you can't find nicely bound
serials with illustrations
that appeared in old magazines
or comics in a new bookstore
like you can in an old one.

The ecstasy derived from sensing
the pages with our bare hands
is a great joy, I would say.
You never get that bliss
in a new bookstore.

They are the time fossils of
human existence
from a certain period.
Since I say this,
don't misjudge that
I am an enemy to new books,
But if you think that,
I am not going to interfere
with  your freedom.
I am not going to feel sorry for that.

Recently,
when I saw an old bookshop,
I couldn't resist the temptation
to go inside.
I thought about
the abundantly scattered books
in my house.
Only recently have I decided
that I wouldn't buy new books
and considered giving the ones I have 
to fellow book enthusiasts.

Still, my mind wouldn't listen to
my own advice.
This would be the last time,
I thought.
Once I decided this,
entering the bookshop became very easy.

Unexpectedly,
I found a nicely bound
childhood-favorite magazine serial
that I had been looking for a long time.
It's a heart-touching fiction
by one of my favorite writers
based on his autobiography.

On the first page,
I found a signature mentioning this:
'To my childhood sweetheart
with lots of love.'
I looked at the person who wrote this.
To my surprise, it was me.
Once upon a time,
in my teen years,
I gave it as a gift
to my childhood sweetheart.
Now, tell me,
can you buy a similar old book
in a new bookstore?
In old bookshops,
not only old books are available
but also old hearts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Global Citizen's Concerns About the Polarized Current World

One thing I don't understand is why not only extremist Jewish people but also ordinary Jewish people, from billionaires to US congressme...